0
Broadband

71% of UK brodband users favour 2 Mbps USO - survey

Wednesday 11 March 2015 | 14:26 CET | News
Some 71.5 percent of respondents to a survey by UK news source ISPreview agreed with the idea of imposing a Universal Service Obligation (USO) on BT, or KC in Hull, to deliver at least 2 Mbps over fixed broadband. Another 20.6 percent said no and 7.8 percent said maybe. The survey comes in the wake of a House of Lords proposal to categorise internet access as a basic service utility. The UK government and BT are currently working toward bringing 24 Mbps+ speeds to 95 percent of the territory by 2017, and are starting to address the remaining 5 percent. Operators have made a non-binding

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

Categories: Fixed / Internet
Companies: BT / KC
Countries: United Kingdom
::: add a comment

Add comment

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

Hull, East Yorkshire digital economy worth GBP 7 bln - study

Published 01 Jul 2015 11:00 CET | United Kingdom
The digital economy in Hull and East Yorkshire is worth almost GBP 7 billion and employs 57,000 people in the region, according ...

Ofcom opens probe into marketing practices at Unicom

Published 07 May 2015 11:08 CET | United Kingdom
Ofcom has begun an investigation into Universal Utilities, trading as Unicom, in respect of compliance with general conditions. ...

Scotland wants UK broadband universal service obligation

Published 18 Mar 2015 09:05 CET | United Kingdom
Scotland's deputy first minister, John Swinney, has written to UK digital economy minister Ed Vaizey to call for broadband to be ...

UK fixed broadband subs up 339,000 in Q4

Published 11 Mar 2015 16:42 CET | United Kingdom
The UK's fixed broadband market ended 2014 on a high note, experiencing the best quarter for net additions since 2012 and the ...

MPs, CLA concerned about 24 Mbps reach in rural areas

Published 03 Feb 2015 09:36 CET | United Kingdom
Rural homes, businesses and farms risk being left behind in the effort to connect the UK to up to 24 Mbps internet service, ...

UK PAC discusses BDUK targets, role of alternative operators

Published 29 Jan 2015 23:52 CET | United Kingdom
The UK Public Accounts Committee has held a third meeting into the joint state-supported Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) project ...

FCC raises broadband definition to 25 Mbps

Published 29 Jan 2015 21:08 CET | United States
The FCC has raised its definition of broadband to 25 Mbps for downloads and 3 Mbps for uploads. The previous standard of 4/1 Mbps ...

Ofcom publishes infrastructure report, interactive map

Published 08 Dec 2014 13:23 CET | United Kingdom
UK communications regulator Ofcom has published its Infrastructure Report 2014 in which it provides data on the nature and ...





Calendar   /   Industry Events

23 Nov Cellcom Israel Q3 2020
23 Nov Naspers H1 results
24 Nov Analog Devices fiscal Q4
24 Nov Xiaomi Q3 2020
24 Nov VMware fiscal Q3
24 Nov Dell Technologies fiscal Q3
24 Nov KPN Strategy Update 2020
24 Nov SD-WAN & SASE Summit
25 Nov Partner Communications Q3 2020
26 Nov Telekom Malaysia Q3 2020
26 Nov Axiata Q3 2020
26 Nov Megafon Q3 2020
30 Nov Zoom Video Communications Q3 2020
30 Nov NexTV Series MENA
::: More Calendar Items