0
Broadband

Antel to complete Uruguayan FTTH network by 2022

Monday 3 April 2017 | 09:32 CET | News
Uruguayan operator Antel set to invest USD 800 million to bring fibre-to-the-home (FTTH) coverage to the entire country over the next three to five years, reports website LR21, citing the company's president Andres Tolosa. Antel began rolling out fibre-optic cables back in 2010 and has so far expanded the network to around 70 percent of the country. The operator will this year invest some USD 20 million in the installation and hopes to complete the remaining 30 percent by 2022, said Tolosa.

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

Categories: Fixed
Companies: Antel
Countries: Uruguay
::: add a comment
This article is part of dossier

Fibre


Add comment

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

Antel to set up Argentina unit to sell subsea cable capacity

Published 05 Sep 2017 10:03 CET | Argentina
Uruguayan operator Antel is to set up a new company in Argentina to sell capacity from its newly-inaugurated subsea fibre-optic ...

Uruguay's Antel signs ICT innovation deal

Published 25 Apr 2017 11:52 CET | Uruguay
Uruguay operator Antel announced an agreement with the country's national research and innovation agency ANII to give startups ...

R&M acquires Petcom in Brazil

Published 04 Apr 2017 14:13 CET | Brazil
Swiss cabling specialist R&M acquired fibre optic activities of the Brazilian group Peltier Comercio e Industria LTDA (Petcom), ...

Uruguay-Brazil-US fibre cable ready by end 2017

Published 05 Aug 2016 12:25 CET | Uruguay
The new fibre-optic submarine cable connecting Uruguay to Brazil and the US is on target for completion by the end of next year, ...

Government allows Antel to create firms in Argentina, Brazil

Published 16 Feb 2015 19:51 CET | Uruguay
Uruguay's Industry Ministry has allowed state-run telecoms operator Antel to create companies in Argentina and Brazil to sell ...

Antel to deploy fibre optic in Montevideo's main accesses

Published 22 Oct 2014 15:04 CET | Uruguay
Uruguay's state-owned telecommunications operator Antel expects to deploy fibre optic in the main access to capital city ...

Antel to invest USD 73 mln in undersea fibre-optic cable

Published 20 Oct 2014 16:22 CET | Uruguay
The deployment of a new undersea fibre-optic cable connecting the cities of Montevideo,(Uruguay) Santos and Fortaleza (Brazil) ...

Four companies launch new undersea cable initiative

Published 10 Oct 2014 19:46 CET | Latin America
Brazilian operator Algar Telecom, Angola Cables, Uruguay's state-run Telco Antel and Google announced plans to build a new ...