0
Broadband

Broadband Infraco says Wacs capacity to support SKA

Tuesday 15 May 2012 | 13:42 CET | News
South Africa's state-owned backbone company Broadband Infraco aims to use the majority of its 11.4 percent capacity on the West African Cable System (Wacs) to support key projects such as the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) radio telescope, Engineering News reported. Newly appointed CEO Puleng Sejanamane said about 70 percent of Broadband Infraco's own capacity on the cable, which went live on 11 May, would be directed to key scientific projects of national interest. The remaining 30 percent would support other government projects that required international capacity, as well as commercial

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Categories: Fixed
Companies: Broadband infraco / WACS
Countries: South Africa
::: add a comment

Add comment

Please login or register to leave a comment.

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

South Africa seeks funding for SKA telescope

Published 10 Oct 2012 14:18 CET | South Africa
The South African government has started negotiations with foreign partners to help fund the construction of the Square Kilometre ...

African ICT ministers seek scheme funding, mull space agency

Published 10 Sep 2012 10:13 CET | Africa
African ICT ministers have ended the Fourth African Telecommunication meeting in Sudan by resolving to secure the necessary funds ...

Broadband Infraco puts grid overhaul out to tender

Published 14 May 2012 15:20 CET | South Africa
South Africa's state-controlled Broadband Infraco is set to replace its Siemens-built legacy infrastructure over the next five ...

Telkom says start of WACS operations boosts robustness

Published 14 May 2012 09:33 CET | South Africa
Telkom South Africa says the launch of the West African Cable System (WACS) linking southern Africa and Europe will complete the ...

South Africa bids for Square Kilometre Array telescope

Published 19 Sep 2011 12:03 CET | South Africa
South Africa has submitted its final bid to host the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) telescope, Defence Web reported. The SKA ...





Calendar   /   Industry Events

28 Sep MPLS+SDN+NFV World Congress
28 Sep IOT Things
28 Sep MWC Africa
29 Sep Vodafone digital services investors day
29 Sep Submarine Networks World 2021
29 Sep International Wireless Communications Expo
29 Sep Blockchain Expo North America 2021
30 Sep WANdisco H1 2021
30 Sep NTT IR Day
30 Sep Foxtel strategy day
05 Oct VMworld 2021
05 Oct Digital Refining & Petrochemicals Summit 2021
06 Oct Marvell Technology investors day
::: More Calendar Items