0
Video

DNA says 30% of Finns watch more TV than they did a year ago

Monday 19 June 2017 | 13:14 CET | News

Finnish operator DNA said that 30 percent of Finns say they watch more television content than they did a year ago. According to a survey of 1,005 people carried out in May 2017, most of the increase was among people aged 15-24 years, of whom 42 percent said their viewing has gone up. Viewing has increased significantly more than time spent on social media or listening to music.

The questionnaire found that 43 percent of Finns spend at least one hour a day watching television, and 17 percent watch more than two hours. The viewing included all screens and services including Netflix, HBO and YLE Areena.

Almost 90 percent of Finnish households still own a TV set. Of these, 39 percent have a smart TV and the other 61 percent a traditional set. Nearly half of Finns (49%) watch footage on a computer at least once a week, and 31 percent do so on a smartphone. DNA said 57 percent said it is important to be able to watch content in a way that suits them.

Sixty-five percent of Finns say they watch programmes from Yle Areen, MTV Katsomon and Ruudut on a computer. Streaming services such as Netflix and HBO Nordic are used evenly across all devices (32% TV, 33% smartphone, 35% computer and 40% tablet).

The majority of Finns also have a TV, media or video application on their phones. The most popular streaming service to watch on them is Youtube, which is used by 56 percent of Finns. Thirty-eight percent watch YLE Areena and 23 percent watch Netflix. DNA said 32 percent of people in Finland usually or always use social media at the same time as watching TV.



Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

Categories: Broadcast & Satellite
Companies: DNA / HBO / Netflix / YLE
Countries: Finland
::: add a comment

Add comment

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

Elisa to release 'Tom of Finland' biopic on rental service

Published 22 Jun 2017 13:28 CET | Finland
Finnish operator Elisa said that the biopic 'Tom of Finland' will be available to rent through its Elisa Viihde service on 25 ...

DNA livestreams Finnish summer from 10 webcams

Published 21 Jun 2017 13:24 CET | Finland
Finnish operator DNA said it has installed ten cameras on its 4G equipment in various parts of Finland to provide live streaming ...

Digita runs opinion poll pilot via hybrid TV

Published 12 Jun 2017 12:10 CET | Finland
Finnish broadcaster Digita said it has tied up with market research company Taloustutkimus to look at how hybrid television could ...

Digita and MTV extend hybrid advertising experiment

Published 01 Jun 2017 21:56 CET | Finland
Finnish broadcaster Digita said that it and Swedish company Bonnier's MTV channel have successfully tested a combination of ...

Finnish terrestrial TV channels switch multiplex

Published 12 May 2017 13:48 CET | Finland
Finnish telecoms regulator Ficora said a new licence period for the terrestrial television network begins on 17 May 2017. Some ...

DNA plans to launch Android TV hub by Sagemcom

Published 03 May 2017 13:36 CET | Finland
Finnish operator DNA said it will launch the DNA TV-hubi device this spring, produced by Sagemcom. It combines every way to watch ...

Elisa, YLE back German-made Lapland drama 'Arctic Circle'

Published 05 Apr 2017 12:52 CET | Finland
A television drama serial called 'Arctic Circle' will be shot in Finnish Lapland in late 2017, according to the Nordic Film and ...

Digita seals deal to air Nelonen channels, develop hybrid TV

Published 16 Mar 2017 13:33 CET | Finland
Broadcaster Digita said it has reached an agreement with Sanoma Media Finland to distribute Sanoma subsidiary Nelonen Media's TV ...

DNA extends carriage with Nelonon, MTV

Published 06 Mar 2017 12:17 CET | Finland
Finnish operator DNA said it reached a new agreement on distribution of the TV channels Ava, Jim, Liv and Hero on its cable ...

Finns watch 2 hours 52 minutes of TV per day in 2016

Published 07 Feb 2017 13:23 CET | Finland
Finns watched an average of 2 hours and 52 minutes of television per day in 2016, according to Finnpanel. YLE channels attracted ...





16.6% of Dutch mobile SIMs are with MVNOs
Netherlands  |  2017Q1