0
Broadband

Free loses bandwidth throttling case, fined EUR 140,000

Thursday 9 February 2012 | 09:03 CET | News
French ISP Free has been fined EUR 100,000 and ordered to pay consumer association UFC-Que Choisir EUR 40,000 in damages for having misleading consumers. The ruling refers to a case begun by French fraud protection agency DGCCRF after Free was marketing an 'unlimited' broadband internet subscription while throttling the bandwidth of non-unbundled customers. DGCCR states that Free reduced the bandwidth to pay for less capacity from France Telecom. In 2006, around 70 percent of Free customers had unbundled lines, out of 1.8 million total subscribers. The remaining 30 percent that kept their

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Categories: Internet
Companies: Free
Countries: France
::: add a comment

Add comment

Please login or register to leave a comment.

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

French competition officials raid Iliad offices

Published 06 Jun 2013 09:51 CET | France
France's directorate general for competition, consumption and fraud prevention DGCCRF, a division of the finance ministry, has ...

Court rules against Free over customer contract obligation

Published 04 Dec 2009 10:12 CET | France
The French supreme court has handed down a judgement against ISP Free that is expected to serve as jurisprudence, writes Les ...

Free loses libel case against consumer association

Published 13 Dec 2007 11:05 CET | France
French ISP Free has lost a defamation lawsuit against consumer association UFC-Que Choisir, which called it "autistic" to ...

Free loses case over help desk call charges

Published 17 Jul 2007 09:09 CET | France
A Paris court has ordered French triple play operator Free to pay EUR 550 to each of three of customers and EUR 20,000 to ...

Free denounces resurgence in slamming

Published 02 Aug 2006 12:42 CET | France
French ADSL operator Free has denounced a resurgence in slamming in France and has put a freephone number in place for its ...





Calendar   /   Industry Events

25 Jan European 5G Conference
26 Jan AT&T Q4 2021
26 Jan Corning Q4 2021
26 Jan Intel Q4 2021
26 Jan Calix Q4 2021
26 Jan Crown Castle Q4 2021
27 Jan Extreme Networks fiscal Q2
27 Jan Apple fiscal Q1
27 Jan Juniper Networks Q4 2021
27 Jan STMicroelectronics Q4 2021
27 Jan Samsung Electronics Q4 2021
27 Jan MTN Nigeria Q4 2021
27 Jan Elisa Q4 2021
27 Jan Rogers Communications Q4 2021
27 Jan Comcast Q4 2021
27 Jan FCC meeting
28 Jan SK Hynix Q4
28 Jan Charter Communications Q4
28 Jan Telia Lithuania Q4 2021
28 Jan Telia Company Q4 2021
31 Jan KPN Q4 2021
31 Jan Cirrus Logic Q3
31 Jan NXP Semiconductors Q4 2021
31 Jan NEC fiscal Q3
31 Jan Harmonic Q4
01 Feb Tele2 Q4
01 Feb A10 Networks Q4
01 Feb Vantage Towers fiscal Q3
01 Feb Vodacom fiscal Q3
01 Feb EA fiscal Q3
::: More Calendar Items