0
Broadband

Italy opens consultation on EUR 6.2 bln broadband plan

Monday 24 November 2014 | 09:09 CET | News
The Italian government has opened a public consultation on its EUR 6.2 billion plan to expand the country's high-speed broadband network to areas beyond the reach of private operators. The aim is to meet EU digital agenda objectives and bring 100 Mbps broadband to 85 percent of the Italian population by 2020, while ensuring that the remaining 15 percent is covered by broadband at speeds of at least 30 Mbps. Only 20 percent of the Italian population currently has access to 30 Mbps broadband, compared to an EU average of over 50 percent. In a statement, the Italian ministry for economic

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Categories: Fixed
Countries: Italy
::: add a comment

Add comment

Please login or register to leave a comment.

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

Italian digital agency defines areas of priority investment

Published 31 Aug 2015 11:13 CET | Italy
Italy's ministry for economic development (MiSE) has signed a framework agreement with the country's digital agency AGID to ...

Fastweb wants focus on national broadband plan - CEO

Published 08 Dec 2014 15:24 CET | Italy
Milan-based broadband provider Metroweb is a local operator that is free to decide its own future, said Fastweb CEO Alberto ...

Italy high-speed broadband coverage "unacceptable" – Cardani

Published 01 Dec 2014 15:08 CET | Italy
Italy's position in last place among EU member states in 30 Mbps fixed broadband penetration is "unacceptable for one of the ...

Italy cuts VAT payable on e-books from 22% to 4%

Published 21 Nov 2014 09:13 CET | Italy
The Italian government has passed an amendment to include e-books in the tax rebate on physical books, bringing down the VAT ...

Italy preparing EUR 7 bln fibre expansion plan - report

Published 06 Oct 2014 13:56 CET | Italy
The Italian government is finalising the details of a EUR 7 billion plan to expand the country's fibre-optic network to areas ...

Fastweb brings broadband to Basilicata localities

Published 23 Sep 2014 09:57 CET | Italy
Italian operator Fastweb has announced that a number of rural localities in the southern Italian region of Basilicata have been ...

Italy to use state fund to avoid TIM Brasil break up -report

Published 23 Sep 2014 09:36 CET | Brazil
The Italian government will do everything in its power to prevent the break up of TIM Brasil and is even prepared to use the ...

Italy launches website to track 1,000-day reform agenda

Published 02 Sep 2014 15:51 CET | Italy
Italian prime Minister Matteo Renzi has presented a website (http://passodopopasso.italia.it), launched specifically to track the ...

Italy launches ambitious plan to teach coding in schools

Published 27 Aug 2014 11:46 CET | Italy
The Italian government is to follow in the footsteps of countries such as Israel, New Zealand, Germany, Australia, Denmark and ...

Italian govt invites bids for regional fibre contracts

Published 12 Aug 2014 15:44 CET | Italy
The Italian government's agency with responsibility for the national broadband plan launched tender processes to supply and ...

Telecom Italia presents EUR 175 mln Campania fibre project

Published 24 Jul 2014 12:01 CET | Italy
Telecom Italia has presented the details of its winning bid for the tender to build a fibre optic network in the southern Italian ...

Italian PM launches proposal for telco single market

Published 09 Jul 2014 10:25 CET | Europe
The Italian prime minister Matteo Renzi has proposed that the EU create "a single digital market" regulated by "a single digital ...