0
Wireless

Orange puts Kenyan arm up for sale - report

Tuesday 15 April 2014 | 09:49 CET | News
Orange has put its Kenyan unit up for sale, according to the Daily Nation. The French conglomerate that owns the majority stake in Orange Kenya has formally informed the government that it is in the middle of negotiations with potential buyers, it said. Depending on how talks between what used to be France Telecom and the new buyer progress, the French investors could be out of the company by June, the daily reported. France Telecom owns 70 percent of the shares in the company and the Kenyan government owns the other 30 percent.

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Categories: Fixed / Mobile & Wireless
Companies: Airtel Kenya / France Telecom / MTN Business Kenya / Orange / Orange Kenya / Safaricom / Viettel
Countries: Kenya
::: add a comment

Add comment

Please login or register to leave a comment.

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

Helios offers to buy Orange stake in Orange Kenya

Published 02 Sep 2015 09:13 CET | Kenya
Helios Investment Partners has reportedly offered to buy Orange's 70 percent stake in Orange Kenya. Helios is said to be ...

Kenya MPs want to recover funds invested in Orange Kenya

Published 21 Jul 2014 16:32 CET | Kenya
The Public Investments Committee (PIC) of the Kenya Parliament has asked the Treasury to recover KES 2.5 billion invested in ...

MTN, Viettel, UK firm bid for Orange Kenya assets - report

Published 05 May 2014 10:08 CET | Kenya
Vietnamese state-owned operator Viettel Group, MTN and a UK firm are in the running to acquire the 70 percent stake in Orange ...

MPs demand higher stake in Orange Kenya

Published 02 May 2014 11:57 CET | Kenya
Kenyan Members of Parliament have ordered the Treasury to recover KES 2.5 billion paid to Orange Kenya as part of a rights issue ...

Ex-Orange Kenya staff out to stop sale of firm, property

Published 17 Apr 2014 10:32 CET | Kenya
Former Orange Kenya employees have gone to court seeking a permanent injunction restraining the sale of the company or any of its ...

Orange Kenya says looking for investment partner not buyer

Published 16 Apr 2014 12:46 CET | Kenya
Orange Kenya has denied acquisition reports, saying that the operator is searching for strategic partners but not buyers, as it ...

Orange Kenya protests new mobile licences

Published 14 Apr 2014 17:55 CET | Kenya
Orange Kenya has written to the Communications Authority of Kenya (CAK) seeking to know why the agency licensed three MVNOs in ...

Kenyan govt to discuss fibre network management with Orange

Published 08 Apr 2014 11:15 CET | Kenya
The Kenyan government and Orange Kenya are due to meet over the management of the National Optic Fibre Backbone Infrastructure ...

Orange dismisses pullout reports from Kenya, Uganda

Published 04 Apr 2014 13:38 CET | Kenya
French telecoms operator, Orange plans to continue operating its business services units in Kenya and Uganda, countering reports ...

CAK undecided on whether to approve Yu takeover

Published 21 Mar 2014 21:32 CET | Kenya
The Communications Authority of Kenya (CAK) has ruled out any automatic clearance of the sale of mobile operator Yu to rivals ...

Orange confirms review of operations in Kenya, Uganda

Published 18 Mar 2014 08:57 CET | Kenya
Orange has been reviewing its operations in Kenya and Uganda, where it has been present since 2008 and 2009, and has struggled ...

Orange Kenya CEO unaware of parent's Africa exit plans

Published 07 Mar 2014 11:30 CET | Kenya
Orange Kenya CEO Mickael Ghossein has denied any knowledge of reported plans by parent company Orange France to exit Africa, ...