0
Wireless

Telxius agrees to acquire 1,909 Brazil towers from Vivo

Friday 29 November 2019 | 09:21 CET | News
Telefonica's infrastructure subsidiary Telxius has announced an agreement to acquire 1,909 towers in Brazil from the group’s local unit Telefonica Brasil (Vivo) for a total of BRL 641 million (around EUR 140 million). The deal, subject to approvals from Brazil’s antitrust authority CADE, will double the size of Telxius in Brazil to 3,850 owned sites, consolidating its position as one of the main neutral infrastructure operators in the country.

The majority (82%) of the newly-acquired towers are located in urban areas, including over half (52%) in Brazil’s main cities of Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. The aim is to strengthen the company’s presence in Brazil’s urban areas, where mobile operators will be focusing their mobile broadband infrastructure rollout, above all when it comes to 5G deployment, said Telxius, adding that the towers' location and current tenancy ratio of 1.10x indicate a high growth potential.

With the 3,000 new sites acquired this year in Brazil, Peru, Chile and Spain, Telxius now has over 20,000 sites globally, with around 70 percent localted in Europe (Spain and Germany) and the remaining 30 percent in Latin America (Brazil, Peru, Chile and Argentina). Telefonica recently announced the creation of a new unit called Telefonica Infra to hold the group’s shareholdings in communications towers and other telecommunications infrastructure vehicles, with its 50.01 percent stake in Telxius as the unit's main asset.



Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

Categories: Fixed / Mobile & Wireless
Companies: Telefonica Brasil / Telxius / Vivo
Countries: Brazil
::: add a comment
This article is part of dossier

5G


Add comment

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

Last week in telecoms: rumours of a Deutsche Telekom/Orange merger, new action plan for Telefonica

Published 02 Dec 2019 07:00 CET | Europe
There was major news concerning the largest incumbents of Europe, Deutsche Telekom, Orange and Telefonica, in week 48. ...

Orange Spain in talks to sell 1,500 towers for EUR 250 mln - report

Published 29 Nov 2019 15:01 CET | Spain
Orange Spain is negotiating the sale of 1,500 of its mobile towers in the country to raise funds to pay for the high cost of ...

Telefonica unveils plan to spin off LatAm business and prioritise Spain, Brazil, UK, Germany

Published 28 Nov 2019 09:23 CET | Brazil
Telefonica has announced a major organisational restructure following a meeting of its board of directors. The company's 5-point ...

Telxius inaugurates Derio Communications Hub in northern Spain

Published 29 Oct 2019 10:56 CET | Europe
Telefonica's infrastructure subsidiary Telxius has announced the launch of a purpose-built communications hub in Derio, near ...

Telxius, EllaLink sign transatlantic cable deal

Published 28 Oct 2019 14:59 CET | Latin America
Telefonica's infrastructure subsidiary Telxius and the EllaLink Group have signed a collaboration agreement to enable European ...

Telxius, NJFX launch first dual cable landing station terrestrial connection

Published 14 Oct 2019 15:04 CET | United States
Telefonica's infrastructure subsidiary Telxius and Windstream have announced the first-ever dual Cable Landing Station (CLS to ...

Telefonica Germany says may sell more towers to Telxius

Published 11 Sep 2019 10:53 CET | Germany
Telefonica Germany said it is considering the sale of additional parts of its passive mobile communications infrastructure ...

Telefonica to monetise mobile towers portfolio 'within a year'

Published 11 Sep 2019 09:30 CET | Spain
Telefonica has announced that it intends to accelerate a plan to monetise its extensive tower portfolio as part of a strategy ...

Telxius revenues up 14% in Q2 on Marea cable capacity sale

Published 25 Jul 2019 13:35 CET | World
Telefonica's infrastructure subsidiary Telxius reported second-quarter revenues up 14.2 percent from a year earlier on an organic ...