0
Broadband

UK piracy plan puts more burden on rights holders

Wednesday 15 September 2010 | 08:54 CET | News
The UK government has said that rights holders in the music, TV and film industries will have to bear 75 percent of the expense of notifying and pursuing illegal downloaders. ISPs will foot the remaining 25 percent of the bill. Rights holders will continue paying to identify illegal downloaders. The cost-sharing mechanism will be introduced in the first half of next year. Ofcom has been given three more months to complete the Online Copyright Infringement Initial Obligations Code that will govern the notifications and cost process. The new government piracy plan is estimated to cost GBP

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Categories: Internet
Companies: ISPA / Ofcom / TalkTalk
Countries: United Kingdom
::: add a comment

Add comment

Please login or register to leave a comment.

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

Vtesse broadly welcomes UK govt super-fast broadband plans

Published 06 Dec 2010 22:13 CET | United Kingdom
Vtesse Broadband has broadly welcomed the publication of the 'Britain's Superfast Broadband Future' report by the UK government, ...

TalkTalk customers not affected by ACS:Law data breach

Published 28 Sep 2010 17:32 CET | United Kingdom
TalkTalk insists that none of its customers are affected by the ACS:Law data protection breach. Writing on the company blog, ...

Legal UK music downloads pass 500 million

Published 20 Sep 2010 08:44 CET | United Kingdom
Data from the Official Charts company shows that the number of legal downloads purchased in the UK has passed the half a billion ...





Calendar   /   Industry Events

26 Oct Siminn Q3 2021
26 Oct KPN Q3 2021
26 Oct NENT Q3 2021
26 Oct Juniper Networks Q3 2021
26 Oct Corning Q3
26 Oct TIM Brasil Q3 2021
26 Oct Alphabet Q3 2021
26 Oct Digital Realty Q3
26 Oct Twitter Q3 2021
26 Oct MediaTek Q3
26 Oct Microsoft fiscal Q1
26 Oct SK hynix Q3
26 Oct Orange group Q3 2021
26 Oct F5 Networks fiscal Q4
26 Oct FCC meeting
26 Oct MWC Los Angeles
26 Oct Samsung Developer Conference
26 Oct Cabsat
27 Oct Telefonica Deutschland Q3 2021
27 Oct TIM Q3 2021
27 Oct Twilio Q3
27 Oct Spotify Q3 2021
27 Oct Hrvatski Telekom Q3 2021
27 Oct Ooredoo Q3 2021
27 Oct Vertiv Q3
27 Oct Netgear Q3
27 Oct Megacable Q3
27 Oct Android Dev Summit
27 Oct Digital Utilities Europe 2021
28 Oct Apple fiscal Q3
::: More Calendar Items