0
Wireless

Google prepares for TV launch

Tuesday 7 September 2010 | 16:31 CET | News
Google will launch its new service to bring web content to TV screens in the US this autumn and worldwide next year, CEO Eric Schmidt said at the Ifa trade show in Berlin. Google conducted a demonstration of the TV platform, which projects a search bar onto the top of the TV screen and allows users to surf the internet as well as search live TV listings. The platform will provide access to both paid and free content. Other planned features include access to Android mobile applications on the TV from early next year and channel changing using Google speech recognition technology, the Wall

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

We hope you've enjoyed your free articles. Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

Categories: Internet / Mobile & Wireless
Companies: Google
Countries: World
::: add a comment

Add comment

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

Google TV marks important step with content deals

Published 06 Oct 2010 14:20 CET | World
Google TV has entered a new phase with the launch of its own demonstration website (http://www.google.com/tv), a blog covering ...

Battle starts for OTT market

Published 08 Sep 2010 16:24 CET | World
The Ifa consumer electronics show in Berlin and the IBC conference on broadcasting in Amsterdam have raised a storm of news on ...

Bmcoforum members present multi-screen TV delivery at IBC

Published 08 Sep 2010 12:41 CET | World
Alcatel Lucent, KPN, Nokia, Nokia Siemens Networks and Sofia Digital are working together in the bmcoforum to establish standards ...

Samsung may use Google Android software for web TV sets

Published 07 Sep 2010 11:01 CET | World
Samsung said it may equip its TVs with Google software, and compete with Sony in offering sets that surf the web and double as ...

Apple's iTV heats up competition on OTT market

Published 30 Aug 2010 15:47 CET | World
The next Apple event will take place on 1 September, and according to market rumours, the company will present the new version of ...

Apple to dominate tablet market through 2012 - study

Published 26 Aug 2010 08:29 CET | World
Apple's iPad will account for an overwhelming 74.1 percent of global tablet shipments this year, with the remaining 25.9 percent ...

Intel looks to break open connected TV market

Published 18 Aug 2010 14:31 CET | World
Intel has agreed to buy Texas Instruments' cable modem division for an undisclosed sum. Analysts at Jeffries estimate the ...

Google meets network execs on TV plans - report

Published 18 Aug 2010 10:06 CET | United States
Google has started meeting with the US TV networks in an effort to attract support for its new Google TV software. Google is ...

Google, Sony and Intel enter the living room

Published 21 May 2010 14:25 CET | World
Google is holding this week its I/O conference for developers in San Francisco. Various developments in the software business ...

Google brings web content to TVs with Google TV launch

Published 21 May 2010 09:20 CET | World
Google has unveiled a new platform to bring web content to TVs. The Google TV software is based on the Android operating system ...





Calendar   /   Industry Events

25 Aug VMworld 2019 US
26 Aug Amaysim FY results
26 Aug Chrous FY results
26 Aug Bezeq Q2 2019
27 Aug Partner Communications Q2 2019
27 Aug Ooma Q2 2019
27 Aug MNF Group FY results
27 Aug ZTE H1 results
27 Aug Hewlett Packard Enterprise fiscal Q3
27 Aug Aviat Networks fiscal Q4
27 Aug Tamedia H1 2019
27 Aug Connected Health Summit
29 Aug Dell Technologies fiscal Q2
29 Aug SeaChange fiscal Q2
29 Aug Bouygues Telecom Q2 2019
29 Aug Marvell Technology fiscal Q2
29 Aug Cyfrowy Polsat Q2 2019
29 Aug Tech Data fiscal Q2
29 Aug Axiata Q2 2019
29 Aug Tele Columbus AGM
30 Aug 5G Leadership Summit 2019
30 Aug Telekom Slovenije AGM
::: More Calendar Items