Smartphone owners install average 20 apps

Wednesday 23 September 2015 | 10:15 CET | News

Dutch smartphone users have on average 20 apps installed on their phones that they downloaded themselves. Only 12 percent have downloaded more than 40 apps, according to a survey in July by Motivaction and Telecompaper among around 1,000 Dutch consumers aged 15-70.

The survey asked a representative group of consumers about their experiences with acquiring apps and in-app purchases. Almost 22 percent of respondents did not have smartphones. Excluding this group, we see the following picture on installed apps downloaded by the user: 

The above graph looks only at the total number of downloaded apps. Motivaction and Telecompaper also asked respondents how many apps they paid something for. On average, 13 percent of apps installed by the user were paid, while 87 percent were free. The share of smartphone users who had never paid for an app was 5.5 percent. 

Finally the survey looked at in-app purchases. These are purchases made within the app after it's downloaded and installed (usually for free). Almost one in five smartphone users (18%) said they have made in-app purchases. Among the group, 37 percent said they did not know how much they had spent in total on in-app purchases. The other 63 percent spent on average almost EUR 30 on in-app items. The below graph divides up this share:

Motivaction and Telecompaper surveyed in July 2015 around 1,000 Dutch consumers aged 15-70 on these subjects. For more information on specific apps used, please see the Telecompaper Dutch Apps Market report. 

Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

::: add a comment