0
Broadband

Enel acquires 21% stake in LatAm fibre provider Ufinet

Monday 25 June 2018 | 15:16 CET | News
Italian utility giant Enel has announced the acquisition by its Enel X unit of a 21 percent stake in Latin American wholesale fibre provider Ufinet for EUR 150 million. In a statement, Enel said it retained an option to buy the remaining 79 percent of Ufinet from owner Cinven for EUR 1.32 to 2.1 billion by 31 December 2021. "This deal further strengthens our position as a leading infrastructure operator in the region," said Enel CEO Francesco Starace. Ufinet manages over 49,000 kilometres of fibre in 14 countries in Latin America.

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

Categories: Fixed
Companies: Open Fiber / Ufinet
Countries: Italy / Latin America
::: add a comment
This article is part of dossier

Fibre


Add comment

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

Open Fiber on target to reach 4 mln connected homes this year - Enel CEO

Published 07 Sep 2018 13:57 CET | Italy
The Open Fiber wholesale-only venture of Italian utility giant Enel and state lender CDP remains on track to meet its target of 4 ...

Silica Networks procures Padtec products to expand and update South American grid

Published 27 Aug 2018 11:11 CET | Argentina
Argentine fibre carrier Silica Networks is investing in the expansion of its backbone using Padtec optical products. It is ...

Open Fiber completes EUR 3.5 bln finance package for FTTH project

Published 06 Aug 2018 08:39 CET | Italy
The European Investment Bank (EIB), state lender CDP and a pool of 13 banks have signed off on a EUR 3.5 billion finance package ...

Open Fiber, Hera to bring FTTH services to Modena, Imola

Published 27 Jun 2018 14:51 CET | Italy
The Open Fiber wholesale-only venture of Italian utility giant Enel and state lender CDP has teamed up with regional utilities ...

TIM open to FTTH tie-up with Open Fiber - CEO

Published 21 Jun 2018 09:26 CET | Italy
Telecom Italia (TIM) is open to talks with wholesale-only operator Open Fiber about merging their respective fibre-to-the-home ...

Open Fiber approves EUR 3.5 bln funding deal for broadband rollout

Published 16 Apr 2018 08:41 CET | Italy
The Open Fiber wholesale-only venture of Italian utility giant Enel and state lender Cassa Depositi e Prestiti (CDP) announced ...

Italian state bank confirms intention to buy 5% TIM stake

Published 06 Apr 2018 08:21 CET | Italy
Italian state lender Cassa Depositi e Prestiti (CDP) announced that its board approved a plan to acquire a stake of up to 5 ...

Open Fiber confirms appointment of Ripa as new CEO

Published 16 Nov 2017 08:35 CET | Italy
Italian wholesale broadband company Open Fiber has announced the appointment of the former Telecom Argentina CEO Elisabetta Ripa ...

Open Fiber reaches 2 mln Italian homes, aims for 2019 IPO

Published 05 Sep 2017 15:23 CET | Italy
The Open Fiber wholesale-only venture of Italian utility giant Enel and state lender CDP has already reached the milestone of 2 ...

Enel creates global fibre-optic broadband unit

Published 13 Sep 2016 08:48 CET | Italy
Italian utility giant Enel has announced the creation of a new global business unit to replicate the model of its domestic Enel ...

Ufinet selects Padtec for network deployment

Published 13 Mar 2015 14:32 CET | Central America
Carrier of carriers Ufinet has expanded its network capability with Padtec's DWDM equipment. Ufinet's network communicates all ...