0
Broadband

Guinea-Bissau starts consortium for submarine cable

Tuesday 18 July 2017 | 16:58 CET | News
The government of Guinea-Bissau has launched a consortium that will manage a submarine cable that will bring high quality internet to the country within 18 months, reports Diario de Noticias. The consortium, called Bissau Cabo, will manage the submarine cable. Over half (51%) is owned by mobile operators Orange (French) and MTN (South African), with the Guinean state holding the remaining 49 percent. The World Bank is providing USD 35 million in funding for the project.

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

We hope you've enjoyed your free articles. Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

Categories: Fixed
Companies: MTN / Orange
Countries: Guinea-Bissau
::: add a comment

Add comment

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

MTN considers sale of some West African divisions - report

Published 19 Jul 2018 09:17 CET | Africa
MTN Group's sale of its Cyprus unit could be the start of a broader exit from small or problematic markets, with the Liberian ...

Guinea-Bissau govt partners with StarTimes for DTT

Published 25 Sep 2017 11:25 CET | Guinea-Bissau
The Government of Guinea-Bissau has partnered with StarTimes to install DTT in the country, announced the Minister of Social ...

Cajutel aims to provide solar-powered internet in West Africa

Published 04 Sep 2017 09:55 CET | Guinea-Bissau
Cajutel Sarl, a Swiss-owned telecom company, is building infrastructure to provide high-speed internet at affordable prices in ...





Calendar   /   Industry Events

28 Oct World Radiocommunication Conference
12 Nov Dasan Zhone Q3 2019
12 Nov Vodafone fiscal H1
12 Nov United Internet Q3 2019
12 Nov 1&1 Drillisch Q3 2019
12 Nov Telkom fiscal H1
12 Nov Skyworks fiscal Q4
12 Nov INAP Q3 2019
12 Nov Infinera Q3 2019
12 Nov GTT Communications Q3 2019
12 Nov Iliad Q3 2019
12 Nov Wi-Fi NOW International
13 Nov Japan Display fiscal Q2
13 Nov Altice Europe Q3 2019
13 Nov Sunrise Q3 2019
13 Nov TIP Summit
13 Nov Cable Congress
13 Nov 5G Expo North America
14 Nov Ice Group Q3 2019
14 Nov Westell fiscal Q2
14 Nov Nvidia Q3
14 Nov Weibo Q3 2019
14 Nov Cisco fiscal Q1
14 Nov Bouygues Telecom Q3 2019
14 Nov Bharti Airtel fiscal Q2
14 Nov TDC Q3 2019
14 Nov Vodafone Idea fiscal Q2
14 Nov Telechoice Q3 2019
18 Nov Bezeq Q3 2019
18 Nov CRU World Optical Fiber & Cable Conference
::: More Calendar Items