0
Wireless

MTN Group says Turkcell's US case over Irancell will fail

Tuesday 13 March 2012 | 13:56 CET | News
Interactive webinar: Vodafone Ziggo deep dive. What is the strategy for the coming years? Where does it stand in relation to its competitors? Join us on January 21st 14:00 CET for a professional profile of VodafoneZiggo in 45 minutes. Register here ...
South African mobile phone company MTN Group said Turkcell's threat of a US lawsuit against it over the Irancell contract will fail. MTN released a statement saying Turkcell has refused to co-operate with its independent investigation, headed by UK Supreme Court judge Lord Hoffmann, who was born in South Africa. Turkcell threatened MTN with litigation in the US, alleging corruption in MTN's bid to participate in the second Iranian mobile network. MTN has a 49 percent stake in Irancell, which did win the licence in 2005. State-owned Iran Electronic Development Co owns the other 51 percent. MTN

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

Categories: Mobile & Wireless
Companies: MTN / MTN Irancell / Turkcell
Countries: Iran (Islamic Republic of) / South Africa / Turkey
::: add a comment

Add comment

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

South African police raid MTN offices over dispute with Turkcell

Published 06 Jun 2018 10:12 CET | South Africa
The Hawks, South Africa's Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (DPCI), have raided the offices of MTN and its law firm ...

MTN to face formal investigation of Iran claims

Published 06 Jun 2012 10:02 CET | South Africa
South Africa-based MTN is facing a formal investigation into corruption allegations over how it acquired a mobile licence in ...

MTN dismisses Turkcell accusations

Published 12 Apr 2012 16:32 CET | World
MTN Group has refuted all accusations made by Turkcell in connection to its operations in Iran. The Turkish mobile operator has ...

Ex-MTN CEO Nhleko denies Turkcell allegations

Published 03 Apr 2012 12:14 CET | World
Former MTN Group CEO Phuthuma Nhleko has denied allegations of unlawful and corrupt behaviour, saying no bribes were authorised ...

Turkcell files lawsuit against MTN over lost Iran licence

Published 29 Mar 2012 10:25 CET | Iran (Islamic Republic of)
Turkcell filed a lawsuit against South Africa-based operator MTN under which it accuses MTN of being responsible for Turkcell ...

ZTE halts growth in Iran business

Published 28 Mar 2012 09:29 CET | Iran (Islamic Republic of)
China-based ZTE said it is no longer seeking to expand in Iran. While it has provided standard communications and network ...

South Africa says will not probe MTN graft claims in Iran

Published 20 Mar 2012 10:57 CET | Iran (Islamic Republic of)
South Africa will not probe allegations that mobile operator MTN paid bribes to win a licence in Iran, in exchange for Pretoria ...

MTN struggles to get profits out of Iran

Published 08 Mar 2012 11:06 CET | Iran (Islamic Republic of)
South Africa-based mobile operator MTN Group said it is struggling to get its money out of Iran due to tougher Western sanctions. ...

Turkcell to file claim against MTN over Irancell licence

Published 03 Feb 2012 11:20 CET | Iran (Islamic Republic of)
South Africa-based MTN said Turkish operator Turkcell has informed it that it will be filing a claim in a US court concerning ...





Calendar   /   Industry Events

19 Jan Netflix Q4 2020
19 Jan Telefonica Germany Strategy Update
21 Jan Intel Q4 2020
21 Jan Modern Times Group EGM
::: More Calendar Items