0
Wireless

MTN Nigeria formally withdraws lawsuit over fine

Friday 18 March 2016 | 15:15 CET | News
MTN Nigeria said it has withdrawn the court case against its regulatory fine, in order to pave the way for settlement discussions with the Nigerian authorities and an amicable resolution of the matter in the best interests of both parties. A statement from CEO Ferdi Moolman said the company has kept its promise to withdraw and followed through by formally doing so. MTN announced on 24 February its intention to withdraw the court case and made an initial payment of NGN 50 billion without prejudice. This payment was made on the basis that it would be applied towards a settlement when agreed. 

Thank you for visiting Telecompaper

Sign up below to get access to the rest of this article and all the telecom news you need.

  • Register free and gain access to even more articles from Telecompaper. Register here
  • Subscribe and get unlimited access to Telecompaper’s full coverage, with a customised choice of news, commentary, research and alerts.

Subscriptions

Already registered?



Categories: Mobile & Wireless
Companies: MTN Nigeria
Countries: Nigeria
::: add a comment

Add comment

Please login or register to leave a comment.

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

MTN Nigeria pays half its SIM registration fine

Published 10 Apr 2018 09:32 CET | Nigeria
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) said MTN Nigeria has so far paid NGN 165 billion of the NGN 330 billion fine imposed ...

MTN Nigeria agrees to pay NGN 330 bln fine over 3 years

Published 10 Jun 2016 15:39 CET | Nigeria
MTN Nigeria has announced that it has reached an agreement with the government of Nigeria over its fine for failing to cut off ...

Nigerian lawyers want NCC chief sacked over MTN dispute

Published 25 May 2016 09:06 CET | Nigeria
Lawyers under the auspices of Alliance for the Defence of Democracy in Nigeria want P Umar Danbatta, CEO of the Nigerian ...

MTN Group CEO stays beyond contract to resolve Nigerian row

Published 12 May 2016 07:49 CET | Africa
MTN Group executive chairman Phuthuma Nhleko is continuing in his role past the 09 May expiry of his initial contract, as he is ...

MTN close to fine resolution amid CEO exit - report

Published 14 Apr 2016 10:38 CET | Africa
MTN Group is close to striking a deal with Nigerian authorities over a NGN 780 billion fine imposed in 2015, Bloomberg reported, ...

Lack of govt agency response delays MTN Nigeria fine talks

Published 07 Apr 2016 09:46 CET | Nigeria
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) said the absence of an instrument of negotiation on the part of government was one ...

MTN fine dominates talks at Zuma visit to Nigeria

Published 09 Mar 2016 10:52 CET | Nigeria
Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari said MTN Group is negotiating with the government for a possible reduction of a NGN 780 ...

Nigerian government will begin talks with MTN soon over fine

Published 03 Mar 2016 09:48 CET | Nigeria
The Nigerian government will start new talks with mobile phone operator MTN "very soon" to settle a dispute over a USD 3.9 ...

MTN pays USD 250 mln towards Nigeria settlement

Published 24 Feb 2016 15:16 CET | Nigeria
MTN Nigeria said it has paid USD 250 (NGN 50 billion) to the Nigerian authorities over a disputed USD 3.9 billion fine for ...

Nigerian govt wants MTN to withdraw court case to reach deal

Published 27 Jan 2016 09:51 CET | Nigeria
The Nigerian government has issued conditions for an out-of-court settlement with MTN Nigeria in respect of the NGN 780 ...

Nigerian court adjourns MTN hearing to allow settlement

Published 25 Jan 2016 09:09 CET | Nigeria
The Federal High Court in Lagos has adjourned until 18 March the hearing of a case over the fine imposed by the Nigeria ...