0
Broadband

SK Telecom launches 5GX Cloud Game powered by Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass Ultimate

Wednesday 16 September 2020 | 08:42 CET | News
South Korean operator SK Telecom and Microsoft have launched ‘SKT 5GX Cloud Game’ powered by Xbox Game Pass Ultimate on the local market. This makes South Korea the first Asian market to offer Xbox’s cloud gaming service, SK Telecom said. ‘SKT 5GX Cloud Game’ powered by Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, is a subscription service that allows users to play more than 100 games in the Xbox Game Pass catalog for a monthly fee of KRW 16,700.

Subscribers will be able to play the games they want, with the people they want, anywhere, by accessing the cloud server via Android phones or tablets. Users can also download and play Game Pass titles on their PCs and Xbox consoles as part of their subscription. The service is also available to subscribers of other mobile operators in South Korea.

SK Telecom and Microsoft carried out the Project xCloud preview in South Korea for about a year and found that 55 percent of users played cloud games at their homes via Wi-Fi connectivity, while the remaining 45 percent did so outside of their homes via mobile connectivity.

SK Telecom has launched a bundled service called ‘Xbox Game Pass Ultimate Controller Pack’, which provides a 12-month payment plan to purchase an Xbox dedicated controller along with 12 months of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership, priced at KRW 22,000 per month.

Alongside the launch of Xbox’s new Xbox Series X and S console devices in November this year, SK Telecom announced plans to start offering Microsoft’s Xbox All Access (XAA) Bundle that provides access to a new next-generation console, combined with a 24-month Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership, via a more affordable monthly payment.



Free Headlines in your E-mail

Every day we send out a free e-mail with the most important headlines of the last 24 hours.

Subscribe now

Categories: Internet / Mobile & Wireless
Companies: Microsoft / SK Telecom
Countries: Korea, Republic of
::: add a comment

Add comment

We welcome comments that add value to the discussion. We attempt to block comments that use offensive language or appear to be spam, and our editors frequently review the comments to ensure they are appropriate. If you see a comment that you believe is inappropriate to the discussion, you can bring it to our attention by using the report abuse links. As the comments are written and submitted by visitors of the Telecompaper website, they in no way represent the opinion of Telecompaper.


Related

Microsoft buys games developer Bethesda Softworks for USD 7.5 billion

Published 21 Sep 2020 17:17 CET | World
Microsoft has announced a deal to acquire ZeniMax Media, parent company of games developer Bethesda Softworks, for USD 7.5 ...

Telstra to open pre-orders for Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S on 22 September

Published 16 Sep 2020 08:19 CET | Australia
Australian operator Telstra has announced that the new Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S will be available through the Xbox All ...

Microsoft's xCloud game streaming service goes live with 150 games

Published 15 Sep 2020 15:31 CET | United States
Microsoft's xCloud game streaming service went live on 15 September in 22 countries with an initial offer of over 150 games. Also ...

Samsung brings Galaxy Note20 5G, Ultra 5G to the US

Published 21 Aug 2020 17:39 CET | United States
Samsung's Galaxy Note20 5G and Ultra 5G are now available in the US, as are also the compatible Galaxy Buds Live and Galaxy ...

Australia adds 5.6 million home entertainment subscribers amid COVID-19 pandemic

Published 19 Aug 2020 08:53 CET | Australia
Australia added 5.6 million new home entertainment subscriptions to the end of June 2020, which represents an increase of 18 ...





Calendar   /   Industry Events

22 Sep BIG 5G Event
23 Sep Submarine Networks Wold 2020
23 Sep China SDN/NFV/AI Conference
23 Sep Samsung Galaxy Unpacked event
28 Sep Open Networking & Edge Summit
28 Sep The Edge Event
29 Sep Micron Technology fiscal Q4
29 Sep Tech & Politics Forum by FT-ETNO
29 Sep VMworld
29 Sep ConnecTechAsia
::: More Calendar Items